Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Indy 500 Pace Car Discussion    First 1967 Camaro Indy Pace Car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First 1967 Camaro Indy Pace Car
 Login/Join 
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
I learned a lot here. I learned theres still lots to learn and I learned guys will never change.. I guess my wife was right canada flag us flag

I'm gonna watch the hockey game

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Should be no fear at all. I think we all welcome posts that explore the technical issues of what we do here.

Saying you have the "first of anything" will bring a through examination no matter what it is.

grill

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
Tylers car is first.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<RickDawn67>
posted
quote:
What have you used in determining on what date each unit was "built"?

John,

The assembly dates are from GM of Canada documents as all these cars were shipped to Canada.

Supporter 2009
Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
There never was a question about my car being built first, but while we are on the subject of hockey, sorry guys. Canada #1 in hockey and documentation.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<tnpace>
posted
After searching the Supercar Registry website, I ran across this:
http://www.facebook.com/home.p.../239046474994?ref=ts

Check it out! first

Regards,
Tyler Collins

<L78conv>
posted
Tyler, that is just sick, I love it.

I think Canada should have had to beat them twice since we beat them up the first time. us flag Big congrats to them for a job well done.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Nice. Big Grin

Here: http://www.yenko.net/ubbthread.../0/page/0#Post446714

The more the better.... band

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Jim Brannon>
posted
THE BODY, ENGINE, TRANS, REAREND, AND ALL OTHER PARTS ARE JUST WHAT MAKES A CAR COMPLETE. THE VIN NUMBER IS THE SERIAL NUMBER PERIOD AND RULES IN WHAT COMES FIRST PLAIN AND SIMPLE. ANY OTHER SPIN ON THE BODY NUMBER IS IDIOTIC AT BEST. YOU GUYS ARE BEATING A DEAD HORSE ON THIS THREAD. THE BODY WAS GIVEN A NUMBER JUST SO FISHER COULD KEEP UP WITH THE INVENTORY. THE BODY IS ONLY A PART OF THE COMPLETE CAR!

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
dream Beer

Phil@camaropacecars.com

<JohnZ>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tnpace:
Guys,
I would also like to add that the NCRS recognizes cars by VIN number as order of production on their registries.

That's correct, but St. Louis-Corvette used a different system (yes, I worked there too). There was no Fisher Body at Corvette, but the VIN number was assigned and the VIN plate was affixed (along with the trim tag) in the first station on the Trim Line, after the end of the Paint Shop, at the point where the body was "locked in sequence" on the assembly line. That's why Corvettes were built exactly in VIN sequence - there was no point at which they could be re-sequenced after the VIN was assigned.

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
Just wondering who has the first replica pace car built in Calif.? JUST KIDDING big grin
Bernie

Posts: 274 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<IPC 93>
posted
Having read this rather extensive thread, and finding a lot of it fascinating, while a proportionate amount is less than that. It seems the debate is which is the "first built". The problem, IMO, is what "first built" means to some. There are varied ways you can look at that. Auto production is not perfect manufacturing, to put it mildly. If, and that is a 'huge' if, a car began the build process and could follow through to completion from the body shop to driven off the final line. With 100% no interruptions, no material shortages, no damages, no scheduling conflicts, no work stoppages, etc., etc., etc.. Then, and only then, IMO, would you put to rest any doubt over "first built".

The real fly in the ointment here is the term "first built" to begin with. Some see that as "first VIN" number. A second see it as "first down the line", a third as "first body number", and even a fourth see it as "first to see daylight".

Even GM themselves have tossed a wrench into the discussion of "first", and even "last", built. Having been at two GM plants that closed down production, and was personal witness to both events. I was at both when the "last" car came down the final line. Being that it meant a lot to all of us, hourly and salary. No matter what you do for a living, no matter what your profession is, your education, etc. To have your financial livelihood halt so abruptly, is devastating. Not only to you personally, even more so to your family. Back to topic. When the last car came off the line in each plant closure, the media was all over it. But, was it actually the "last car". Was that VIN the "last" VIN, the "last body" number. It definitely was "last down the line" and "last to see daylight". But, the other two "lasts"? If you had all the documentations on that car, you could figure it out, possibly. But still, in the eyes of the world it was the "last car". Saying that, I may have made this discussion even worse. I just wanted to "add a little food for thought" as they say.

If I owned a '67 PC, personally, all I would care about is that I was fortunate enough to own one. I'd be thankful that I had an important piece of automotive history. That I was able to drive it to car shows, events, Friday night car shows and swap meets. Enjoy restoring it, maintaining it, and answering the hundreds of questions about the car. It would matter not to me were it first, last, or whatever the circumstance may be. Because, to me, that car represents not only automotive history. But the many lives that built it that may no longer exist today. In a time when America was the leader of the automotive industry. When there was pride in owning the latest "new car on the block". When all the blocks contained American made cars. And most importantly, the families left behind of those who built these cars that have since past away. These cars represent part of their lives too. When we see one of these '67 PCs, we think of automotive history, and what these cars were. When they see one, they think of their husbands and miss them dearly. They also take pride in saying, "My husband used to build those".

This is the last comment I'll make of this topic. I don't like to argue, or have to defend my opinion because someone doesn't agree with it. It's just my opinion based on what I know and have observed personally. No one is 100% accurate, or correct, on any given topic. No matter what their life experiences are.

<Larry C Weaver>
posted
I like what/how Ron just said!Very well put and my feelings also! Cheers

<don961>
posted
I agree, Ron. Well said!
I just feel lucky to have A 67 PC, albeit a long way from completion. And lucky I found this site with all the good people willing and ready to share their knowledge/expertise on the subject,

Victory Lane
Picture of MLakin
posted Hide Post
I agree with IPC93 Ron's opinion as well. I have no stake in which was first anything, I was simply in the thread to learn anything new that might come up. I found it enlightening to learn that VINs didn't come down the line 100% sequential as I had heard at times. And get a better understanding of the proccess, body banks etc. I've always believed that when it comes to automobile manufacturing you can never say never. The only absolute was the line must not stop! I'm sure we've all heard the stories of area hardwares stores being raided for fasteners on the rare occasion that the line ran out, which explains the hardware store bolts that have been found on unrestored cars. IMO If I were to own one of these contested cars here, I personally would be much more comfortable making statements such as; "possibly the first one produced", "likely the be the first one produced", "One of the first ones built", "lowest known VIN", "lowest know body No". Not definitive absolute statements that in reality really can't be proven as fact, only speculated. Thanks to all who hung in there and provided constructive input.

Mike L.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Indy | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Well thats mighty well said Mike thanks..
I'd like to thank John Z and IPC93 for the real world accounts and everyone else. Some of this is in fact old school bickering and in truth the whole topic is petty to guys that don't have that need to know alls things 67 IPC ( I do have that need and thats why these things come about ) I think all the points have been made and enough opinions shared. I don't normally close threads but seeing as how we have swung over to Yenkos to continue the bashings in front of a way bigger and more diverse audience I think we shall default over to there for a while. Kind of like Friday night bar hopping in college Cheers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom McGinnity,

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
bump