Camaro Pace Car Merchandise is now available !!

Support Camaro Pace Cars .com

Camaro Pace Cars .Com    My Forum Home Page    All Years Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  1967 Pace Car  Hop To Forums  1967 Indy 500 Pace Car Discussion    A BIG Welcome to 67 Indy L-34
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A BIG Welcome to 67 Indy L-34
 Login/Join 
<67 Indy L34>
posted
Here is a pic of the fuel pump. The number on it is 1F40358.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<67 Indy L34>
posted
Here is a pic of the alternator. It is a 42 amp alternator. The part number is 1100696 and the date is 6K17

<67 Indy L34>
posted
The crank is forged and I can't find a date code on it. The only number that I can find is the last four digits of the part number. 6223

<67 Indy L34>
posted
Here is the end stamp of the cam.

<Pat Railsback>
posted
Yes Phil, I would say that the internal dated components should match or be slightly prior to the assembly date of the block. Since the assembly code does not include a digit for the year it is common to refer to the cast date of the block along with the known factory useage of ever changing block casting numbers in current model year circulation. In the case of warranty replacement or factory destination blocks the process was the same regardless. Chevrolet did not inventory blocks used for warrany replacement and used the current circulation block regardless of the model year or casting number the warranty unit was assigned to replace. In addition, neither warranty or factory destination block was partial VIN stamped at the engine factory. I thought most of this was fairly clear in my last post?

As far as the block pad photo is concerned I have agreed that both the assembly and partial VIN stamps look as they should IMO. I can not in good faith say the same about the pad surface given the quality of the digital. This is why I asked if additional photos were available. All I see is what is posted on this thread?

I won't even reply to YOUR hoax statement and its relationship to the integrity of the owner. When did I make such an accusation? If you've not grown up by now chances are slim you are ever going to.

As I've said from the very start "the

<67 Indy L34>
posted
This is a pic of the last oil groove on the cam. I was told by Kurt Sonen at CRG that the wide oil groove was discontinued at the end of 1966.

<67 Indy L34>
posted
http://www.chevelles.com/years/67/facts.htm

In 1967 all of the Camaro's used the same 37amp alternator unless the car was optioned with air conditioning. The 1967 Chevelle also used the 37amp alternator for the base model. The 42amp alternator was required on the Chevelle when the TH-400 trans was used. The L-34 was only offered for regular production in 1967 in the Chevelle.

<Pat Railsback>
posted
Doug, thank you for the additional photos. Now we can have some fun and get to the nuts and bolts of the build. The pun was intended Smiler I've been researching 67 chevelles lately. I have an L79 that has a DEC assembled block but not from the same engine plant.

<Pat Railsback>
posted
Doug, this might help? http://www.chevytech.com/2c50o6.html

I was looking through my photos of 396 cranks but could'nt come up with a good shot of a date.

<67 Indy L34>
posted
My crank was forged, not cast. I don't think that it has a forging date much less a casting date.

<Pat Railsback>
posted
OK, if you get a chance and feel like looking it over that would be great.

http://www.ajgeneral.com/chevy...aft_casting_numbers/

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Crank 6223 is listed here as a general 396 application for 68 and up as a forged unit.

http://www.kendrick-auto.com/c...haft_casting_num.htm

Is not the internet a wonderful place full of all kinds of differing opinions facts and figures??

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
And Alan Colvin Identifies the crank as part# 3856223, as 1965-1969, 396, Forged steel, 1965-1966 all, and 1967-1969 Hi-Perf A,F Car.

Where the "F" car is the Camaro of course. Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Posts: 4788 | Location: Chillicothe Ohio | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
yeah, the 3856223 forged steel crank was pretty much used across the board for L35, L34, & L78's from 1965-1967. Interesting to note that a cast iron 3904815 was used for L35,& L34 F bodies in 1968 and 1969. I'm having zero luck finding out if forged cranks had a date code and if so where it was located. The crank is the only internal component I've seen date coded. I'm going to have to dig through my pile and see if I can find a steel crank with a date code.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Thanks for the additional photos of your rare car!

What are your plans for it? Perhaps to keep it as is for now-or restore it?

You have a real piece of history there. Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Railsback:
yeah, the 3856223 forged steel crank was pretty much used across the board for L35, L34, & L78's from 1965-1967. Interesting to note that a cast iron 3904815 was used for L35,& L34 F bodies in 1968 and 1969. I'm having zero luck finding out if forged cranks had a date code and if so where it was located. The crank is the only internal component I've seen date coded. I'm going to have to dig through my pile and see if I can find a steel crank with a date code.

Yes! correct!

Here is a listing for a 6223 for sale as part of a 396 375 HP package so pretty obvious it was the crank.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthread.../0/page/0#Post429768

Looking good for the L-34! Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com

<His 67PC>
posted
Forged parts do not have date codes. The forging process does not lend itself to insertion of removable mold sections like a casting. The casting process pours liquid metal into a mold. The forging process involves hammering (using tons of force) red hot metal ingots into the rough shape of the part prior to final machining. The process would destroy any removable sections.

Keith C.

<67 Indy L34>
posted
I was able to find a picture of the cam oil groove in the Chevrolet Power Catalog. The oil groove was only used for 2 years, 1965 and 1966. See above for the pic of my cam.

<67 Indy L34>
posted
The Ebay gods are smiling down upon me. I just got an unrestored original Q-jet carb with the right date for $61. Big Grin

The carb that was on the car when I got it came back to a 73 Buick.

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
Nice score on the carb... Big Grin

Supporter
Victory Lane
Picture of Tom McGinnity
posted Hide Post
Nice.. good narrow down on the cam and nice carb. Glad your on this puppies resto Cheers

tom @ camaropacecars.com ( remove the space between m,@,c)

Posts: 13409 | Location: Arlington Mass | Registered: 01 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
Great score on the carb...thats dirt cheap for a core. The part number H260 is a Crane Cam # for a "high lift" application such as the L34 would have called for at that time period. I don't know if Crane Cam was a supplier to GM for camshafts like TRW was for the pistons? If so, that would establish all the internals as stock L34 application for this blocks build date Cool

Victory Lane
Picture of festival
posted Hide Post
The "circle M" forging mark on the cam face is also looking real good too. Cheers

Phil@camaropacecars.com

Victory Lane
posted Hide Post
I always thought that the L34,s came with the holley single inlet carb. confused At least the Chevelles I've seen had it. (3837 for manual trans) I searched the Team Chevelle site,and that is what was said there,too. The assembly manual page that is posted on page 4 of this thread also shows the holley carb. I guess that the Q-jet still could be correct for a 1 of 1 car like this one is. A lot of things are tough to figure out almost 43 years later!! Andy V

Posts: 540 | Location: Southeast Ohio | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pat Railsback>
posted
It really gets convoluted with the changes in the L34 specifications between 1966 and 1967. The L34 was rated at 360hp in 1966 and had a Holley carb, different spread bore cast iron intake, and snorkel air cleaner but by mid 1967 the L34 was 350hp with a Qjet carb, cast iron intake, and open air cleaner. The carb had nothing to do with the base hp rating and by most respects the Qjet was a better choice for performance. I'd expect that this car would have come with a cast iron intake, Q-jet carb, and open element air cleaner. The L34 would be indentical in every respect to the L35 with the Only exception being a different "hi lift" camshaft along with jetting in the carb and distributer advance.