My Forum Home Page
1982 Mini Aerodynic light

This topic can be found at:
https://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1390094833/m/9713918597

15 April 2021, 06:23 PM
Scott Moyer
1982 Mini Aerodynic light
Hey guys. I have someone interested in buying my Mini AeroDynic 4 rotator light for the '82 Pace Car. What would the value be of a light in mint condition that is also rare to find?

16 April 2021, 06:44 PM
Bill B
I have no idea of what its value might be. If someone was to make an offer on mine I'd say make a "god-father" offer and if they blew my socks off I'd sell.

Bill @ Camaroipc.com (remove the spaces)
16 April 2021, 07:59 PM
festival
I agree with you Bill. If I sold mine What would I replace it with?? Correct units with real rotators are quite rare after all.

But I am kind of shocked Mr. Moyer decided to post here, why not just ask the experts over at TGO?? Big Grin

Phil@camaropacecars.com
16 April 2021, 08:07 PM
festival
Here is the correct mount on one of the back up pacers.

Phil@camaropacecars.com
16 April 2021, 08:10 PM
festival
I recall from driving the real pace car that the actual mount configuration was pretty crude with wires hanging down, Everything looked functional but also temporary.

Phil@camaropacecars.com
16 April 2021, 08:32 PM
festival
A minor detail but here is the 100% correct font on the AeroDynic identification plate as used by Chevrolet at IMS on the pace cars.

Phil@camaropacecars.com
17 April 2021, 11:09 AM
Scott Moyer
quote:
Originally posted by festival:
I agree with you Bill. If I sold mine What would I replace it with?? Correct units with real rotators are quite rare after all.

But I am kind of shocked Mr. Moyer decided to post here, why not just ask the experts over at TGO?? Big Grin

I didn't know I was restricted to only TGO, Phil. People like Bill and Lee are very knowledgeable on pace cars, but their knowledge isn't shared on TGO, so....

I don't need to replace the light with another. I have multiple parties interested in buying my '82 and the light is NOT included in the purchase. However, all parties are interested in the light as a separate purchase.

Just looking for an idea on potential value as a Google search turns up zero recent or current Mini Aerodynic sales.
17 April 2021, 12:59 PM
festival
Scott,

Oh not restricted at all -- Your reputation is well established here, so feel free to share all your information here with us.

Anyway on to the answer to your question:

I would value the bar you are offering at $325.00

Now this might seem low -- but for its historical application you are going to have to pitch it to a very limited and informed buyer segment who will promptly reject incorrect cosmetics.

Given that the bar you are selling has a generic mount system and the wrong visuals on the ID tag, that will hold the price to the uninformed, or the basic unaware buyer.

Now a correct bar with a correct fabricated mount- THEN the bar becomes identical to what Chevrolet used at the speedway in 1982 and that usage in its exact configuration becomes the draw as to the value -- meaning an obvious replica is far less in value.

If you have any other questions on the 1982 Pace car program please do not hesitate, I personally have owned a Z/50 J/65 LU/5 car for nearly 36 years, I have an extensive memorabilia collection dedicated to this specific model and significant GM and IMS archival information as well.

Phil@camaropacecars.com
17 April 2021, 01:14 PM
festival
Super correct data plates for the sides but the condition is a bit sketchy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313333828848

Phil@camaropacecars.com
17 April 2021, 01:43 PM
festival
Scott,

Oh and one more thing... the screws used on your light bar are the later replacement head diameter.

They are too big for the correct original plate. You can see this when comparing the space from the top of the plate to the top of the screw pan head circumference.

So if you do locate correct Identification plates make sure you replace the screws also with the right pan head size.

Phil@camaropacecars.com
15 October 2022, 09:18 AM
Scott Moyer
I forgot to update this thread with the sale price. I sold the light for $750 to a person in Kansas that purchased Mike Rhudy's '82. I sold the light in November 2021, so it's been a while